On September 7th, Governor Wolf signed Executive Order 2022-03. This order designates September as Voter Registration Month, and is also an expansion of voter registration opportunities. The order designates seven existing government entities as Voter Registration Distribution Agencies (VRDA). These agencies will be required to provide voter registration literature and services to eligible Pennsylvanians.
Following is a list of the agencies that are required to participate in the VRDA program:
- Department of State (DOS) including the public Bureau of Elections, Bureau of Professional and Occupational Affairs, and Bureau of Corporations and Charitable Organizations locations
- Department of Agriculture including events at the Farm Show Complex
- Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) including 121 state park office locations
- Department of Corrections (DOC) in connection with Bureau of Community Corrections services
- Department of Education at library locations
- Labor and Industry programs at CareerLink offices
- Department of Military and Veterans Affairs at state veterans homes
These VRDAs will need to provide their clients with voter registration applications, a non-postage-paid envelope, and instructions. They will also be required to display non-partisan signs and posters indicating that voter information is available and to integrate the Department of States’ online voter registration applications into their websites. Each of these agencies will also be required to designate a Voter Registration Coordinator. This person will be responsible for providing the Department of State with quarterly voter registration statistics.
This is great news for the residents of our communities. The order helps to ensure that all Pennsylvanians eligible to vote have the knowledge and opportunity to do so. If you have any questions or would like to get involved in our voter education work, please contact our Field Program Coordinator Paul at 724-229-3550 ext 8 or firstname.lastname@example.org